Free, Local Tax Assistance
Volunteers in local communities help people prepare and e-file basic tax returns. This program is designed to prepare basic tax returns for most low and middle income taxpayers, with an emphasis on senior citizens and disabled taxpayers. Sites are staffed by volunteers trained by the IRS to prepare basic tax returns. E-file means it's fast, accurate AND it's absolutely FREE.
This tax preparation program is made possible by a collaboration between the IRS, AARP Tax-Aide, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), the United Way, and other national and local charitable organizations.
What to bring
- Social security cards or current record of SSN's for you, spouse and all dependents.
- All income information (such as Forms W-2, 1099-Misc, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 and 1099R ).
- Form 1099-G or record of unemployment received and any federal tax withheld from unemployment.
- Property tax and mortgage interest statements.
- List of your medical, interest, contributions, and miscellaneous expenses (to itemize your deductions).
- Copies of last year's tax return (helps volunteer prepare this year's return).
- Child care payment information and name, address and SSN/EIN of your child care provider.
- Bank routing and account number for direct deposit.
Volunteer site locator
Find volunteer sites near your ZIP code using the volunteer site locator available from the IRS website.
Additional information for residents of Anchorage, Alaska
- www.freetaxprepANC.com: Anchorage program website.
* Note: These items include links to external sites. Alaska USA does not control and cannot guarantee the relevance, timeliness, or accuracy of materials provided by other agencies or organizations. Alaska USA is not responsible for the accuracy or applicability of tax assistance offered by third party organizations.