What is contactless payment and how does it work?
Tap to pay, or contactless payment, allows you to wave or tap your card to pay for items at participating retailers. It’s currently the fastest and safest way to make your day-to-day purchases.
How do I know if my card is contactless?
Identifying a contactless card is easy—just look for the Contactless Symbol on the front of the card. Don’t see the symbol? It might be time to upgrade to a contactless card.
Are you an Alaska USA member?
Make the switch to a contactless card today. Request your card
How to use a contactless card
Using a new payment method for the first time might seem daunting but tap to pay is the easiest form of payment yet.
- Look for the contactless symbol on the store's checkout terminal.
- Tap your contactless card or wave it within a few inches of the Contactless Symbol.
- Get the ok "beep," checkmark, or green light that lets you know your payment has been processed!
Where can contactless cards be used?
Tap to pay at many of your favorite places like fast-food restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, vending machines, and more. Just look for the Contactless Symbol at checkout. If you don’t see the symbol, you can still use your contactless card by swiping or inserting the chip.
Are contactless cards safe?
Safer than ever. The card uses an encrypted “token” with every transaction. This one-time use digital token is transmitted to the contactless card reader, which is authenticated by the card reader network. The digital token doesn’t contain your card number or any personal information and cannot ever be used again to make another transaction.
The contactless card also never leaves your hand. Not only is this more sanitary, but you don’t have to worry about your card being swiped through a fraudulent card reader to steal your data or personal information. You are in control the entire time.
Advantages to owning a contactless card
- Security—Contactless payments are made via dynamic encryption, so your credit card number is never shared.
- Speed—Contactless payments are twice as fast as using a chip reader. The other people in line will thank you.
- Sanitation—The contactless card never leaves your hand and typically does not require a PIN to be entered.
- Global—Businesses all over the world are rapidly adopting contactless payment technology. You’ll be prepared no matter where you go.